Thursday, September 28, 2017

Water is important.

You probably already knew that, but I was reminded yesterday how important it is.

I tried to do what my doctor suggested. I tried to drink only liquid thicker than water in order to avoid aggravating the friend in the roof of my mouth.  I lasted one day.  There is a limit to how much Ensure one can endure though and soup and milk have started to wear out their welcome too.  It felt impossible to replace the amount of water I drink - which is not small - with thicker fluids.
The longer I went without water, the grumpier I got and the harder it was to concentrate and the less energy/wherewithal I had to prepare other food and prep syringes and wash syringes and measure meds, etc.  By the time 7pm rolled around, I was a mess - climbing one set of stairs winded me, my heart was racing, I was experiencing complete blackouts that last tens of seconds and several other symptoms of mild dehydration.
Thankfully, Dave saw this was not going well and quickly put his MacGyver skills to good use, building a contraption that allows me to trickle water into the back of my mouth and down my throat, bypassing the need to swallow, assuming I move the syringe plunger VERY slowly.
I also have to give a big shout out to Casey who put me on to thickened liquids, which are exactly what they sound like.  Dave ran out after the kids were in bed and bought some thickener for me after she explained how it worked.
This morning, I spent an hour getting about 1 cup of fluid into me. The thickener worked a treat when added to fruit punch. I am very sensitive about textures, so I was skeptical, but when chilled, it is the same texture as a fruit cocktail or a slushy, if it were smooth. This in combination with Ensure and water made for a good start to the day.
As a result of the kind and creative souls in my life, today has been much better.  I can already say quite confidently that I feel more energized and can think clearly. I can move around the house without taking breaks to catch my breath or regain my vision.  I'm considering reading a book, which I couldn't do yesterday - I tried.
Next goal is using this new approach to get me to next Wednesday when I see the surgeon.
Using the water dribbling contraption while drying my hair.

Looking tired and puffy, but at least I've got good hair :P  *Ha*

No comments:

Post a Comment